Friday, November 03, 2006

Janteloven

Just finished 'the zahir' by Paulo Coelho and came across The Commandments of Jante,i absolutely had to check it out as the author hadn't elaborated in the book.
Well here you are:
“The Commandments of Jante”:
1. You shall not think that you ARE something.
2. You shall not think that you are as much as US.
3. You shall not think that you are wiser than US.
4. You shall not imagine that you are better than US.
5. You shall not think that you know more than US
6. You shall not think that you are better than US.
7. You shall not think that YOU are good at anything.
8. You shall not laugh at US.
9. You shall not think that anyone cares about YOU.
10. You shall not think that you can teach US anything.

According to the Jante Law, everyone is equal and cleverness or intelligence does not make you a better person.

Janteloven - the Jante Law - is a code of down-to-earth conformity formulated by Danish/Norwegian author Aksel Sandemose in the 1930s but still very much alive in Danish society today.
Honestly it isnt as bad as it sounds, its actual aim is to keep your feet firmly on the ground...it infact requires higher understanding.
...or so i thought,until i came across this on the net:

Modesty is highly valued in Norway. That is why many will outwardly give the impression of being very modest while they might be thinking something completely the opposite. Here’s an example:

Tom is elected class president. He thinks, “This will be fun. I am definitely the best person for this task. Obviously, that’s why they chose me. I’ll be the best class president ever, and maybe I can advance to Student body president too.”
But he SAYS, “It is a great honour for me to be elected by you, as I am sure any one of you would do a better job than I. I will take my job very seriously, to serve you in the best possible way that I can, as I feel it is my duty to say “yes” after you have shown me so much trust.”

See?

2 comments:

Roon said...

Hi - just happened to drop by - you write in a nice engaging way. This particular post was particularly thought provoking....

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Oohhh.. Vv The One With A Beautiful Hind.

Listen, I Have Changed The Name Of My BLOG At @vodka4salmon

So Please Feel Free To Park By Anytime Because I Can Spot You!