Sunday, June 15, 2008

Luckiest Person Alive

You know when we used to be younger and there was always this kid who either had the coolest toy or gadget or car or went to all the coolest places because his/her parents could afford it and always allowed it?
And how most of us secretly envied or hated that kid?

i AM that kid.

I was always given anything and everything that i wanted,well, except for the hovercraft that i wanted and my parents just didnt think a ten year old knew how to pilot a hovercraft and OF COURSE i didn't need one as it was my parents who always had to beat the traffic for me.

so,i don't know if i am hated or envied or loved...but whatever position i'm in right now,feels soo damn good...not as a Junior Medical Officer,but as my parents' offspring.

i'll soon be 26...and the support i get from them is unbelievable.I am still pampered and given astonishing amounts baby-ing...which is rare among some of my peers, not because their parents love them any lesser but because i totally allow myself to be baby-ed by them.

My parents are remarkable people (ahh...just as some of you might be thinking this is my channel of brown nosing,trust me,my folks have no idea i blog)...really...we arent super rich or anything but,my folks have done a wonderful job with the 3 of us...we've never been told that we can't afford anything or we've never been told that we can't have something (except for the hovercraft that i wanted when i was 10).
Whats even more interesting is that,when my mum fell ill (numerus factors) my folks decided that its best that my mum stops working and starts free-lancing from home (god knows she can't remain idle) which meant that the household income drops by 50%! and my dad, became the sole bread winner...even through those times,my parents never said NO.

Till today,we get anything and everything we ask for...so now...you'd figure we're a bunch of spoilt brats?...hehe,this is where things get REALLY interesting...

we don't ask just for everything and anything...

this is what happened yesterday:
"ma,i'm thinking of sitting for my MRCS part 1...its about RM1800 and if i fail,i'll have to pay for it again"
"just get the application form,go for your holiday once you come home you can start studying...don't worry about the money"
then she puts my dad on the line
"why are you soo afraid of failing,don't worry you will sit for it until you pass...it just makes you a better person,so how much is the paper?
"1800 ringgit"
"ok...don't worry about it"
"but pa...i don't want you to pay for it"
"your pay sweetheart,is only sufficient for petrol leave it to your mum and me"

Nuff' said!

now,am i the kid that people envied?

i think so...god i am a narcissist.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the contrary...
envy is a tricky word..i envy those kids who were beaten. Whatever discipline I had to get was from within n only myself. Parents should beat their kids. I was Never beaten..and if i was i don't think it as ever worthy of mention. My parents gave/give me everything i want and sometimes more. Parents should say no to their kids once in awhile. I am now unsure if I'm ready for the real world. Everything's always been in my lap. Up to the extent of me being pissed off coz i Can't do anything for myself without someone hovering about over my shoulder. You should know how That feels. Envious? haha.

Anonymous said...

I am part-nerd and part-rockstar. I am what they made me and more. I am proud of my parents but I should've done a better job of taking care of myself and how i wanted myself to be. No one's to blame.

Viroshini said...

i was given a fair share of beating,no i am not kidding...i was thought values...i was disciplined,till today i am afraid of my parents and i am 25 and i am still the luckiest kid alive.
i'm sorry but i don't know what it feels like to be constantly shadowed and hovered upon.
no,no one's to be blamed...and...based on the circumstances that surrounded me and my life,i do think envy is a suitable word,albeit tricky.